World Mental Health Day 2019 (Working together to prevent suicide)
A week ago today (10th of October) was World Mental Health Day 2019! Here at the YES project we had a Tea and Coffee morning for professionals to drop in and have a chat about the service we provide here at YES. We had Professionals in from various Agencies!
What is world Mental Health Day all about?
World Mental Health Day is an international day for global mental health education, awareness and advocacy against social stigma. It was first celebrated in 1992 at the initiative of the World Federation for Mental Health, a global mental health organization with members and contacts in more than 150 countries.
World Mental Health Day is organized by the World Federation for Mental Health
This year’s Day is supported by WHO, the International Association for Suicide Prevention, and United for Global Mental Health
World Mental Health day is all about:
- Improving awareness of the significance of suicide as a global public health problem.
- Improve knowledge of what can be done to prevent suicide.
- Reduce the stigma associated with suicide.
- Let people who are struggling know they are not alone.
Key facts and figures:
- Suicides are preventable
- One person dies by suicide every 40 seconds
- A prior suicide attempt is an important risk factor for suicide
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death among 15-29 year olds.
- Suicide effects people of all age groups in all countries
Quick tips and ideas:
- If you are struggling, take 40 seconds to kick-start a conversation with someone you trust about how you are feeling
- If you know someone who has lost a loved one to suicide, take 40 seconds to start a conversation to ask them how they are doing.
For more info on World Mental Health day and suicide prevention visit: https://www.who.int